Home

Feeding communities with previously under utilised Kai Moana.

0 kg
Fish parts re purposed
Pick ups
0 hrs
Volunteer work
0 kg
Fish parts re purposed
Pick ups
0 hrs
Volunteer work
Play Video

The Outboard Boating Club of Auckland, Papatuanuku Kokiri Marae and the Z Pier Charter Fleet at Westhaven Marina have teamed up with LegaSea to develop the Kai Ika Project.

The Kai Ika project utilises fish heads, frames and offal which were previously going to waste. Since September 2016 previously discarded fish parts have been collected from the OBC by Papatuanuku Kokiri Marae whanau and redistributed to families and community groups in South Auckland who value these fish parts and enjoy their sweet flesh

Only 33% of the fish is consumed on average.

In te reo, the head of the fish is called rangatira kai or ‘chiefly food’ and is considered a delicacy. 

Today the OBC members and the Z Pier charter fleet sort and process these previously unwanted fish parts. Papatuanuku Kokiri Marae whanau collect and distribute the heads and frames to an appreciative local community. The offal is used as fertiliser in the marae gardens where kumara is also grown for distribution.

On average, only the fillets are consumed, which is just 33% of the fish. The remaining 67% of the fish, the heads, frames and offal are discarded. Currently, this prized rangatira kai is entering various waste streams or is dumped throughout Tāmaki Makaurau. It is clear our fisheries resources are not being utilised effectively. Our natural resources are not being treated with enough respect.

Finalist for the New Zealand Initiative Business award 2018

Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
Our Mission

We spend an enormous amount of time and resources producing/harvesting food. Yet around one-third of the food produced does not end up being consumed.

The majority of this ends up in landfills, where it breaks down without oxygen and releases harmful greenhouse gases like methane that contribute to global warming. It’s not just the food being wasted, we are throwing away all of the resources which were invested to produce it –  oil, water, and labour are all being wasted. Our population continues to increase and our planet is fragile. We simply cannot afford to continue behaving like this.

At the same time, a recent survey found one in six Kiwis ran out of money for food. We have one of the worst food poverty problems in the developed world.

The Kai Ika Project aims to:

Prevent the tonnes of natural resource entering general waste streams by increasing the recovery of fish parts fit for consumption.

The Kai Ika Project helps address the reality that New Zealand’s fisheries are being depleted faster than they can rebuild.

 Through the repurposing of organic waste we are now generating employment opportunities. Refer to the proposal submitted to the Outboard Boating Club (OBC) of Auckland to provide fish filleting services this summer. These work opportunities will allow others in our community to grow themselves, to provide for their families, and improve their food hygiene and handling experience.

Foster community engagement and project support.

Celebrate cultural diversity through the distribution of this nutrient-rich food source.

Provide a social framework to create relationships and link otherwise disparate sections of our community.

Convert waste from one part of the community into nourishment for others, and fertiliser to feed Papatuanuku (Mother Earth).

Improve public awareness about the need to minimise waste and how we can collectively make a positive impact by adjusting our consumption behaviours.

Finally, as well as kaitiakitanga, this project promotes manaakitanga. It shows how a simple adjustment in our community’s behaviour is having a positive impact on many families as well as the environment – building unity through humility and generosity.

Our Sponsors

Get Involved

Keen to be part of the kaupapa? As demand increases so does the pressure on our resources. We have two main constraints:

Time, driven predominantly by volunteers, time is always in short supply. Many hands make light work so if you would like to help we can always use backup drivers or helpers in the whare kai at the Marae.

Looking for work, The Kai Ika Project is growing in popularity. Demand is exceeding supply so we’re looking for talented, motivated and passionate people who want to be part of this kaupapa [project].

Costs, demand continues to outstrip supply. As we grow, so do our costs. The cost of fuel, insurance, electricity and storage all increase exponentially as well.  We want to do more and a little koha will go a long way.

In the Media

Drop us a line

0800 534 273

Email: kaiika@legasea.co.nz